About Me

My photo

My husband, Mike, and I moved from NJ to Southwest Florida in September 2006. I currently work at the Punta Gorda Library and fill my free time with crafts, reading and my experiments in the kitchen.  Our fur kids, Buddy the dog and Nibbles (aka Brutus) the cat, keep us entertained all day. 

Friday, July 4, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!! - Barbecue for two.

With no family nearby, planning a 4th of July barbecue is a little lonely.  What is a girl who loves to cook to do???  Make a special barbecue for her husband and herself. 

I started up the charcoal grill and threw on two turkey burgers and two steak burgers.



While the burgers were cooking, I sliced up some onion and dusted them with flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. I then fried them until they were golden brown and crispy.   I also spiral cut a zucchini and did the same.

When the burgers were cooked, I threw American cheese on the steak burgers and some feta cheese on the turkey burgers.  

Here is the steak burger with bacon, frizzled onions, and cheese on a pretzel bun.



Here is the turkey burger with frizzled zucchini, onions, and tzatziki on a pretzel bun with some frizzled zucchini on the side.


Both of us were FULL....but we left a little room for dessert.

Mike had strawberry shortcake.



Since I am allergic to strawberries, I had black cherry shortcake.  It was delicious because I cooked some fresh black cherries in some black cherry balsamic vinegar.  OH YUM.


So, it is possible to have a delicious, gourmet 4th of July barbecue for two.  

I have to make special mention of the turkey burgers.  Heartland turkey burgers from Walmart were a BIG surprise.  Delicious and juicy without that weird turkey taste.  I recommend them highly.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment