Sunday, June 19, 2016

All things HUMMUS!

I used to think that hummus looked like flavorless baby food.  Whenever it was offered to me, I would turn my nose up at the tan mush.  One day, a coworker brought in homemade hummus with warm pita bread.  That is when my love of hummus began.

I really enjoy the Sabra brand of hummus. Their original is tasty but my favorite is the roasted red pepper flavor.  I have also tried the Publix brand hummus, which is very good.


How do I eat my hummus?  I love to eat it with slices of cucumber instead of chips or pita.  I love to spread it on my tortilla, add fresh spinach, some cooked chicken or turkey, and some feta cheese.  Roll it all up and delicious wrap.


One Halloween, I decided to make pumpkin hummus from scratch to bring to a party. I also took a ghost shaped cookie cutter and cut out shapes from tortillas and baked them.  Very tasty.  Here is the pumpkin hummus recipe.


Pumpkin Hummus

2 Tbsp tahini (if you can't find tahini, use creamy peanut butter)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1 - 15 oz can pumpkin
1 can garbanzo beans
1 garlic clove chopped

Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.

Recently my husband saw that Bush's Beans had put out a line of Hummus Made Easy. He bought some for me and tonight I tried it.  I have to say that it was very good. I made the Classic flavor with reduced sodium garbanzo beans. It was so good that I'm planning to go out and get a bunch of mix and beans to keep on hand in case of spontaneous party. 

If you think you don't like hummus, give it another try.  I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment