Saturday, August 27, 2011

Celebrate good food

Sometimes I like to get inspiration from professional chefs. To do so, I need to taste their food.  There is nothing like finding a great new (or at least new to me) restaurant with fantastic food, to inspire you to cook.  Yesterday, my wonderful husband suggested that we finally go to Laishley Crab House in Punta Gorda.  And, being the loving wife I am, I said "I concur!"  So, off we went....

After reviewing the menu, I decided to start with the baked bruschetta. This was cuban bread topped with balsamic marinated tomatoes, shallots, garlic, basil and mozzarella. It was then drizzled with balsamic glaze.  It was so good that I'm smiling thinking about it right now.  The glaze was FANTASTIC.  This dish was absolutely delicious.  However, had I known that we were going to get the most delicioius rolls with a delectable cinnamon butter, I might not have eaten ALL of the bruschetta. I did enjoy very well made Cosmopolitans with my meal.

Red Snapper and Scallops

For dinner I chose one of the specials, Red Snapper and Scallops.  This was served with the most fantastic mashed potatoes and perfectly cooked green beans.  Topping the dish was a bacon chipotle sauce that was a perfect complement to the fish and scallops.  It was one of the most delicious seafood meals I've had since living in Florida.








Jack Daniels Rib Eye

Mike, who is not a fan of most seafood, chose the Jack Daniels Rib Eye which was served over whipped garlic potatoes and green beans on the side. It was then topped with a delicious Jack Daniels sauce. Considering that there was nothing left on his plate, I think Mike liked it.





It is rare for us to have dessert when we go out, but the dessert menu was so enticing that we went for it.  I went for the Key Lime Calypso and Mike had the Apple Blossom.  Both desserts we fantastic.

Key Lime Calypso


The Key Lime Calypso consisted of a light key lime mouse, white sponge cake, chocolate, and whipped cream.  I would like to eat one of these every day.  It was not overly "limey" and it was not too sweet. On top of being delicious, it looked pretty.






Apple Blossom

The apple blossom was made of delicious flakey crust with roasted cinnamon apple filling.  It was drizzled with caramel sauce and accompanied by whipped cream with fresh apple slices for garnish. Mike let me taste his and it tasted just like homemade apple pie.  Delicious comfort food.





The whole meal, from the wait staff, to the ambiance, to the food was one of the most pleasant dining experiences I've had since moving to Florida.  If the food is good enough for me to want to copy the recipes, then it is a winner. Laishly Crab House gets the Kathy Harriott official seal of approval. 







No comments:

Post a Comment